Posted by : RunnerBecky Wednesday, February 15, 2012

I realize I am a little bold in my hopes to run the Gulf Coast Half Marathon on April 15th with my sister Bonnie. I had a baby 9 weeks ago and have been easing back into exercising for the past 2 1/2 weeks. I am surprised how quickly I am adjusting back to the running routine but am still much more out of shape than I was before Micah. I will hopefully get there in the next few months though. I am working hard for sure! Right now I am running twice a week with a long run on Saturday. It is much harder to squeeze in a run with a baby in the picture :) I have to wait until Roy gets home from work and can relieve me of my duties for a half hour or so. I have mapped out a great run from our apartment to the seminary where Roy studies and back. It is about 3.2 miles.


This past weekend I did my long run at the Y on the treadmill. We don't have cable so I got my HGTV fix for nearly 45 minutes. I am hoping to up my long run by a mile each week leading up to the race. Can I really do this? I am crazy! I have only 2 months to go so hopefully I'll be up to at least 12 miles before the race. My last race showed me the value of strength training and stretching as well which I am trying to add to the mix to keep injuries at bay.

I had to see an orthopedic doctor when I was pregnant because of a knee injury. Because I couldn't get an X-ray the doctor had a hard time pinpointing my injury but said it was probably due to my intense amount of exercise. My lower body wasn't strong enough to support all of the hours of cardio I was logging SO... I am trying to do some strengthening exercises as well. Hopefully this will pay off with my SECOND half marathon!

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments


About Me

I'm a proud wife and mother to a precious 2 year old boy and baby girl ( Born December '13) and a lover of all things health and fitness. I am a Florida native living in small town Mississippi. I hope you will be encouraged and motivated on your fitness journey or if you are just getting started, Welcome Aboard!

Happy Running,
Becky

thedirtroadrunner@gmail.com











Powered by Blogger.

Copyright ©-The Dirt Road Runner