Posted by : RunnerBecky Monday, April 15, 2013


I woke up this morning THRILLED about watching the 117th running of the Boston Marathon. Aren't endurance runners just incredible? These athletes are serious forces of nature.

I had a live stream feed on the computer while little man ate his breakfast. He enjoyed watching it too!


I was cheering on Americans Goucher and Flanagan, both of whom finished in the Top 6. 


I followed the entire race, popping in and out of the kitchen, doing a few loads of laundry, tending to little babies :)

I chuckled when the commentator referred to the elite pack's 6:39 mile pace at the start as a "leisurely pace."


I was floored when I heard that the elite men running at Boston have an average resting heart beat of 38-42 beats per minute. Hello! Are they even alive?

I got a little misty eyed after hearing that the winner of the women's push rim race was adopted as an infant in Russia. Her disability had been poorly treated while in the orphanage. Look at what incredible things she has accomplished! 

I busted out laughing at a race sign I saw that said," You've trained longer than Kim Kardashian's marriage." So sad, but it was quite hilarious.

I rejoiced with Kenyan Rita Jeptoo as she clinched the Women's title with a 2:26:24 finish. She had a 5:35 mile average. I can't run ONE MILE in 5:35, much less 26.2.

FUN FACT:

Did you know that BEFORE today's race a Kenyan man has won 20 of the last 25 Boston runs and a Kenyan woman has won 9 of the last 13? Way to represent!




Rita Jeptoo of Kenya and Lelisa Desisa Benti of Ethiopia, winners of  the 117th Boston Marathon on April 15, 2013. (Photo by Jim Rogash/Getty Images)

........................


I watched the race until the live stream wasn't streaming anymore.

And then, I got a text from my sister-in-law and my heart sank.

I immediately turned on the television to BREAKING NEWS: Twin bombs explode at Boston Marathon finish line. I began praying. 

This afternoon has been a solemn one. The video clips I have watched on television have literally brought tears to my eyes.Today's marathon should have been the source for great joy and celebration, but instead it was one that brought about fear and sorrow. 

Our hearts are broken for the acts of evil that were displayed, and prayers and condolences go out to the families of those impacted. 

Please pray for Boston!

** If you have a RACE SHIRT please WEAR IT TOMORROW to show your support for Boston!**

Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments


About Me

I'm a proud wife and mother to a precious 2 year old boy and baby girl ( Born December '13) and a lover of all things health and fitness. I am a Florida native living in small town Mississippi. I hope you will be encouraged and motivated on your fitness journey or if you are just getting started, Welcome Aboard!

Happy Running,
Becky

thedirtroadrunner@gmail.com











Powered by Blogger.

Copyright ©-The Dirt Road Runner