Posted by : RunnerBecky Wednesday, March 6, 2013


If you are like me, you are always looking for new, healthy recipes to add to your cycle of meals. This one is one of my favorites that I haven't made in a while and now I'm remembering why. I'll share that in a moment!

Here is a delicious recipe from "Deceptively Delicious," a great, healthy, kid-friendly cookbook from Jessica Seinfeld. She has lots of neat healthy meals, but secretly adds purred fruits and veggies into each meal for added nutrition if you have picky eaters. The little ones will never know.

One of my favorite cookbooks!

I have the page flagged because it is definitely a keeper!

The word TURKEY doesn't quite have my husband sold yet, which is why I have only made it once before. I think he is catching on to the health benefits which makes each spoonful a little easier to swallow. He loves his beef.

Turkey Chili

What you'll need:

* Nonstick cooking spray

* 1 tablespoon olive oil

* 1/2 cup chopped red onion

* 1 pound ground lean turkey

* 2 cloves garlic, minced

* 1 tablespoon chili powder, or to taste

* 1 teaspoon salt

* 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika

* 1/8 teaspoon pepper

* 1 (15-ounce) can chopped tomatoes

* 1 (26-ounce) carton reduced-fat low-sodium chicken broth

* 1/2 cup red pepper puree 

* 1/2 cup carrot puree

* 1/4 cup cornmeal

* 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal

* 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed




Add just a few saltine crackers and you are on your way!



The Recipe:

1. Coat the bottom of a large pan with cooking spray. Place pan over medium heat. Add the oil once the pan is hot. Add the onion and cook until it begins to soften. This should only take about 2 minutes or so.

2. While the onions are cooking, sprinkle the turkey with the garlic, chili powder, salt, paprika, and pepper. Add the turkey to the pot with the onion, stirring occasionally, until the turkey is no longer pink. This will probably take 5 minutes or so.

3. Stir in the tomatoes. Add the broth, red pepper puree, carrot puree, flaxseed meal, and cornmeal. Stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce the head, and simmer, covered, for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the beans and cook a little longer. You just want to head the beans through.

Enjoy!! The chili will be good and hot so be sure to give it time to cool. We had this for dinner last night and the blend of spices make it truly delicious.

And I may or may not have had a few pieces of Easter candy and an appetizer  Call me crazy but those colored Tootsie Rolls are the deal! 

Candy for a game for youth group. There WERE colored Tootsie Rolls. I wonder what happened to them? Hmm...


Leave a Reply

Subscribe to Posts | Subscribe to Comments


About Me

I'm a proud wife and mother to a precious 2 year old boy and baby girl ( Born December '13) and a lover of all things health and fitness. I am a Florida native living in small town Mississippi. I hope you will be encouraged and motivated on your fitness journey or if you are just getting started, Welcome Aboard!

Happy Running,
Becky

thedirtroadrunner@gmail.com











Powered by Blogger.

Copyright ©-The Dirt Road Runner