Posted by : RunnerBecky Thursday, May 16, 2013



Believe it or not, I think that the summer is a great time to start running. True, it you live in the South like me the humidity can be so miserable in the summer even at 6AM. That makes for a miserable run. I did a 4th of July 5K this past year in Florida and WOW! Sweat Fest 2012! 




My point is that there are lots of great races that pick back up in the fall and winter months and it is important to properly train and condition. You'll need to give yourself adequate training time depending on the distance of the race you want to train for.

If you can't stand the heat (get out of the kitchen), hit the treadmill. Treadmills are great if you are just entering the running world. Be sure to bump up the incline to at least 1.0 to give yourself a more realistic running terrain. 


I have been recently asked by a few people how to start running, how to train,  how to get motivated!

I am a Type-A personality all of the way. I need a plan. A list. A goal. 

My lists have lists. 

I am much easier to get tasks done if I have a list of what I am accomplishing. I know I have posted training plans before, but here are a few helpful ones.

Want to run a 5k (3.1 miles) ?

I always suggest the Couch to 5K plan. I think it is practical and the app is helpful. It keeps you accountable!


Can you already run a 5K? Here is a great plan to run it faster! 



Think you want to tackle a half marathon?

I know, that little "you could never do that" voice was once in my head too and I've completed 3 races! 





If there is a will, there is a way!

It takes dedication, but you CAN and I hope you WILL!

I have come across a lot of different plans and all are great. Find the one that is best suited for you.

Here is one I created that I have used. I run 3-4 times a week. I teach Zumba classes so that becomes my cross training (X-Train). 

It is SO important to stretch and I have learned the hard way the necessity of strength training. 

I know that is a lot of working out, but to avoid injury it is so important that you stretch and strength train. 

Also, the more long runs you can log THE BETTER!


Week
Sunday
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
Saturday
1
Rest
X-Train
2 miles
30 min run or X-Train
3 miles
Rest/Stretch
4 miles
2
Rest
X-Train
3 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
5 miles
3
Rest
X-Train
3 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
6.5 miles
4
Rest
X-Train
3 miles
40 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
8 miles
5
Rest
X-Train
3 miles
40 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
5 miles
6
Rest
X-Train
4 miles
40 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
9 miles
7
Rest
X-Train
4 miles
45 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
10 miles
8
Rest
X-Train
5 miles
45 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
8 miles
9
Rest
X-Train
5 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
11 miles
10
Rest
X-Train
5 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
12 miles
11
Rest
X-Train
5 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
8 miles
12
Rest
X-Train
3 miles
30 min run or X-Train
4 miles
Rest/Stretch
RACE DAY!

www.thedirtroadrunner.blogspot.com

{ 4 comments... read them below or Comment }

  1. I need to try your run-it-faster plan, but I'm so bad with plans. I started C25k several times and always quit around week 3-4! I'm also in the South and know all about the humidity! It can knock you down, but that's when I hit the 'mill or just punch the heavy bag instead of running!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got to the point where I was just getting bored during my runs so I would sprint for 30 seconds or so and then pick back up at my regular pace. It was crazy how much faster I got! Plans are hard to stick with. Give yourself some freedom to be flexible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I started running in the summertime and I started with C25K! I had to repeat a couple of the weeks, but that's okay - I finally finished it!

    ReplyDelete


About Me

I'm a proud wife and mother to a precious 2 year old boy and baby girl ( Born December '13) and a lover of all things health and fitness. I am a Florida native living in small town Mississippi. I hope you will be encouraged and motivated on your fitness journey or if you are just getting started, Welcome Aboard!

Happy Running,
Becky

thedirtroadrunner@gmail.com











Powered by Blogger.

Copyright ©-The Dirt Road Runner